+91 177-265-2983 | iapsmcon2019@gmail.com
  • slider_1
  • slider_2
  • slider_3
  • slider_4
  • shimla
  • slider_5
  • slider_6

About Shimla


Shimla district derives it's name from Shimla town which was once a small village. Shimla district in its present form came into existence from 1st Sept,1972 on the reorganisation of the districts of the state. History of Shimla goes back to the period of Anglo-Gurkha war in the beginning of 19th century. In 1804 the Gurkhas , who had suffered a severe defeat at the hands of the Sikhs at the battle of Kangra, a hill fortress about sixty miles from Shimla, where according to some accounts they lost thousands of men in the fight and many others from diseases, commenced to ravage the states and hills surrounding Shimla. Gurkhas built many forts around Shimla. One of these strongholds, the Jagatgarh fortress, was the origin of the modern Jutogh, the well known military cantonment adjoining Shimla. By 1808 the invaders had conquered all the fortified posts between the Jamuna and Satluj, and from their capital Arki began their ruthless rule over the neighbouring hill states, untill at length the people in their wretchedness appealed to the British for help.

A small British force under Major General 'Sir David Ochterlony' was despatched to liberate the hill men from Gurkhas. Majority of hill chiefs responded to the call and joined the British forces. The rivals were engaged in the toughest battle at 3750 ft high Ramgarh fort at Nalagarh. A decisive battle took place near the fort at Malaon in which superior guns of the British overpowered the enemy. The battle of Malaon on 15th May 1815 ended the dream of the Gurkhas, to rule over this part of the land for any longer. After few days, an official declaration was made according to which all Chieftains who had joined British in expelling the Gurkhas were restored with their land under the British protection. The maharaja of Patiala who has also rendered invaluable services to the British was rewarded with land in the neighbourhood of the area now comprising Shimla. After the defeat of Gurkhas they were forced to sign the 'Treaty of Sanjauli'. The company retained the strategic forts of Sabathu, Kotgarh, Ramgarh and Sandoch. Present day Shimla District comprises of 19 erstwhile hill states mainly Balson, Bushahr, Bhaji and Koti, Darkoti, Tharoch & Dhadi,Kumharsain, Khaneti & Delath, Dhami, Jubbal , Keothal, Rawingarh, Ratesh, Sangri.

Shimla is known for its rich cultural heritage dating back to the colonial era. Every year millions of tourists from different parts of the country as well as the world visit this place to enjoy its spectacular beauty, and this figure continues to grow annually. The historical Ridge ground is popular for its ambience throughout the world. It is Situated along the mall road which is the highest open mall in Asia. Gaiety Heritage cultural complex located on the ridge ,designed in gothic style of 13 architecture ,is a significant tourist hotspot. With an array of venues, this is the hub of performing arts in the state. Jakhoo Hills ,the highest point of the city,is famous for Jakhoo Temple and the world’s highest 108 feet tall Hanuman statue. Recently connected by ropeway from the ridge, it is a favourite escape for visitors wanting peace and calm from the city far below. Shimla is also famous for temples of historical importance. Some of them being Kalibari , Bheema Kali, Tara devi and Sankat Mochan temples. You would’nt want to miss a chance to visit these serene places.

Copyright © 2018 by Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla
Developed By : RSS Infotech Pvt. Ltd.